Thursday, June 2, 2016

Book Review: Bare Bones

If you don't know who Bobby Bones is, well, you should. Bobby Estell is the brains behind The Bobby Bones Show, a great morning radio talk show based out of Nashville. His show started being broadcast in our area maybe a year or so ago, and Tanner has really enjoyed. He talked about it so much that now I listen to it, and when we get home from work in the evenings we talk about the talk show. That's a lot of talkin'!

Bobby had been talking about his book on air for a while, and I knew that Tanner would love to read it. Bare Bones was released May 17th and our copy arrived May 19th. Tanner finished it last Friday night so I took it with us to the river for Memorial Day weekend. I started it Saturday afternoon and finished it on Sunday afternoon. It's a very easy read!






Overall, the book was great. Bobby's stories, accompanied with his usual self-deprecating humor, were funny and fun to read. I also feel like there was some good "dirt" in the book, also (i.e. billboards, Chris Young, the nosebleed). I couldn't have picked a better title for the book, because I really felt like Bobby was baring it all. His childhood stories broke my heart but were also very easy to relate to. After reading the book, I just wanted (and still do) to give him the biggest bear hug and say "You are so worth it!". Because of Bobby's past experiences, it almost seems like it would be impossible for him to believe that anyone would or could genuinely like him. He's been slighted so many times in his past that he writes about always feeling like a mistake or that he was in the way (his mother had him at 15, he writes about feeling like he ruined her life). Bobby is so unique, honest and likeable that after listening to him on the radio and reading his book, I really feel like he would be one of my friends.

 Bare Bones kept me so interested and entertained that I was actually sad to see that I was on the last chapter. I'd definitely recommend this book to any of my friends and I'm really hoping for another!!

No comments: