Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Bloggin' Basics



By no means am I a professional at blogging, I'm actually still very new. I don't have a custom layout, I don't have cool pictures and by no means do I have a life interesting enough to consistently blog about, but I do it because I enjoy it. Whenever I plug a new post onto Facebook or Twitter, people always say " I've always wanted to blog, but I just don't know where to start" or "I don't really have anything to blog about". These 2 statements couldn't be farther from the truth. 1. The setup is extremely easy. 2. EVERYONE has something to say. No matter how boring you think your life is, I promise someone will find it interesting. And even if they don't, you aren't blogging for anyone else but yourself. Blogging can be a kind of therapy, it shouldn't be something you do just for others. With that being said, there are tons of great blogging websites, here's a few for starters:


BlogSpot or Blogger (same thing, this is what I'm using right now)
Bloglovin'
Tumblr ( a little weird, less formal way of blogging)
Xanga (yes, this still exists)


Most of these are pretty user friendly, just pick which one you'd like to house your blog. After you've chosen which site you'd like to use, you'll create an account. If you use Gmail, I'd suggest going with BlogSpot, because it's directly linked to Gmail and Google+, which makes it really easy to navigate to your blog. Next, you'll create a name for your blog. Make it fun, make it simple. Once you've done this, you'll most likely want to change the look of your blog. The website you choose will most likely have some templates you can play around with, but there are countless websites dedicated to making some really cool layouts. The website I'm using right now is The Cutest Blog on the Block. They have some really cute options. Once you've got the look, you can customize your blog with special links. If you want people to know more about you, I'd suggest an About Me page and maybe even links to other social networks like Twitter, Instagram, etc. Or if you want to remain completely private or anonymous you can do that, too. Once you've got it all set up, you're ready to blog.


Your first post can be about anything you'd like. This is your blog. You can post absolutely anything you want. If you want to dedicate your blog to cats with sweaters you can do that. If you want to have a One Direction fandom blog, you're allowed. Your blog is your oyster and you can write about anything your heart desires. Be creative, be fun and most of all, be honest.

No comments: