Thursday, August 21, 2014

Waiting..

I am always waiting. Waiting for 5pm so I can leave work. Waiting for an email. Waiting for Summer to be over and for Fall to kick in. Waiting for my sister-in-law's wedding. Waiting for the weekend. I am always waiting for something.

When Tanner and I started getting serious and I realized he was the one I wanted forever, I couldn't wait for him to propose. It was like I was about to explode. Everywhere we went I drove him crazy with hints that I was ready to say YES any day now. It got so bad that he finally had to grab my shoulders and shake me (literally) in the middle of Wal-Mart and tell me that he got the hint, and if it was up to him he would have proposed yesterday, but "diamonds are a little out of the budget right now".  After that, I calmed down a little.....not really though, I just didn't mention it around him again. Instead, I would spend my Saturdays floating around in my best friend's pool, both of us daydreaming about our significant others popping the question (sorry Izzy!). And trust me ya'll, when he finally did ask me, I was so happy and ecstatic and felt like I had a million butterflies land on me all at once. I wanted him to propose so bad because for some reason I felt like if we could just be engaged, then life would start. Then we could have everything we'd ever wanted. But then I did it again........ I started waiting.

2 months later we were married. We just couldn't wait any longer. We both decided that a big wedding wasn't what we wanted, nor could we afford, so we invited a few of our close family members and were married at the beach in March 2014. It was absolutely beautiful and I wouldn't change a thing. But then it happened again............ I was waiting.  This time I was waiting for a house. I thought that once we were married and had our own house, then life would start. Then I would have it all. A husband, a house, a good job. A house was the final key because it was something of our own. But then life happened. Car issues, more bills, etc. Then, one Saturday in my best friend's pool, I had an epiphany.

Life is happening. Right now. Our first year has already had so many ups and downs that we can look back on and laugh. We've already made so many of our own memories as The Bright family. And if I don't slow down and try really hard to pay attention to what's going on now, I will spend the rest of my life waiting for the next thing to happen even though I have so many beautiful things already happening. I hate to use this cliché, but I really have to stop and smell the roses.